Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Late August/Early Sept, 2010

Been on a roll this past month. I was able to do alot more than I ever imagined. 


Paint: During the last few days of August, I was able to paint the cab using the Rustolleum paint. I changed the method a bit from what was posted on http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html I should of not cut corners though, as it shows. I did a 70% Paint to 30% Mix and did double coats trying to safe time. Due to this I have alot of runs and paint that is soft. I will not do this on the rest of the truck, and will likely redo the cab. Overall its a nice 20ft paint job, but up close its not so nice. One thing I must say though... This was a $20 learning lesson, verse a $200 one if I used real auto paint.






Electrical: I decided to build my own wiring harness. So far so good. The pictures look like a birds nest of wires, but trust me it is not. I have everything pulled down for testing and setup. Once I finish running all the circuits It will all be installed in a loom and cleaned up. Should turn out real nice.
Starting Engine: FINALLY! I was able to get the engine going again. Of course this required I install the gas tank, run new fuel lines, rework the carbs and test the ignition system. During these steps, alot of complications. First would be the fuel lines. The rubber lines and new fuel filter all went on without issue. The metal lines were the issue. I needed a 20 inch line for the last piece between the 60 inch line and tank hose. When I went to the store they only had a 30 inch. I figured I would just make it work. Well, during bending it crimped. I decided to leave it for now and replace it later as it wasn't leaking. For the carbs, I said rework rather than rebuild because I didn't have a rebuild kit, so I just reworked and cleaned the parts. Now I was able to get it running doing this, but barely. So carb rebuild kits are next on the list
Transmission cross member: Installing those proved to be a issue. The new Brake Master cylinder actually conflicted with the cross member. This was not mentioned when purchased at all. So modification was needed. I had to notch the cross member and box weld it back in and repaint it. After this it went right into place. However the brake lines had to be removed, and will need to be changed up when I run new lines again.
Whats Next?: Well not that things are really coming together and my budget has been shot for the rest of the year, I need to start working on what I have supplies for currently. So now its time to start working on the doors, front fenders and hood. Clean up. Stripping Paint, and repainting. Once that is done installing. During this time I will need to squeeze in the brake system rebuild and wheel bearings and seals. Running new brake lines and finishing the wires.
Lessons Learned: During this project so far, I have rushed alot of things. Because of this I have a redo list that is growing by the day. Some of this was do to the auto parts store not having the correct size lines. Some is because I ran out of supplies. Either way I was in a rush to be able to just drive the truck again. This has cost me time and money. I have to keep telling myself to slow down, but it is hard being so close, lol! Still having fun working on it, and that is what is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment