Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More Body work and Paint

Goals for the night:

  1. Finish sanding/repair of cab corner
  2. Paint cab corner
  3. Paint hood interior

Started the night by painting the hood underside. I had cleaned this at the car wash pretty good a couple weeks back. It cleaned up well and took most of the old paint off. Problem now was there was a small/thin layer of surface rust. I decided to use some of the Rustolleum Black glass I had, as the POR15 is all gone, and the Chassis coat paint is starting to clump up. Paint went on smooth but could use another coat.

Well as I was looking the truck over, there were several places where I had done some filler a little to thick. Being my first time using body filler, I am still learning. The truth with this stiff is getting the correct spreader. Before I was using a hard piece of plastic. This doesn't do a good job of leveling and making it thin, hence the thick spots. I have since switch to the bondo spreaders, and they work alot better. I am now able to put just skim coats on, paper thin for any weld spots etc.  Anyway, these spots were showing through the paint, so I stripped those areas and smoothed them out. I must say, single stage paint is awesome for repairs like this. Its so easy to repair things and make it disappear again. So far working with the Rustolleum paint has been pretty good. Not disappointed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment